Re: Patriarchy, evolution, etc.

thomas w kavanagh (tkavanag@INDIANA.EDU)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:56:27 -0500

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Ronald Kephart wrote:

> I'm not sure who it was that stated in a recent post that patriarchy
means "rule
> by older men." The definitions I have seen say nothing about age; they refer
> only to rule or dominance by males.

Webster's New World Dictionary, College Edition, p 1072:

patriarch ...
4. a man of great age and dignity. 5. the oldest individual of a class or
group

patriarchy...
1. a form of organization in which the father or eldest male is
recognized as the head of the family or tribe, descent and kinship being
traced through the male line. 2. government by men. Opposed to matriarchy.

Don't you just love playing with definitions. :-)

Yours, in Tweedledum

tk