Computers

Lief M. Hendrickson (hendrick@NOSC.MIL)
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 08:08:26 PST

and on Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Peter Junger wrote:

>My initial net-surfing was on Bitnet and occasionally on DECnet, neither
>of which was particularly influenced by or a product of the military,

Peter makes a good point about computers. The military did not
develop personal computers. Ham radio operators were a major
force in the advent and proliferation of small computers. They
used to make their own radio transmitters and used such
techniques as printed circuit boards in their garages and/or
"radio shacks" as they used to call them. As ideas for computing
devices came up, computers were added to the devices they made.
In fact, the first Apple computer was a home-brew product.