LETTER TO ZEDILLO (fwd)

Robert Johnson (johnsorl@COLORADO.EDU)
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 05:16:48 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 15:14:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Queens Library <qladmin@CLASS.ORG>
To: CHIAPAS-L <chiapas-l@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx>
Subject: LETTER TO ZEDILLO

I am posting this to NATIVE-L, ACTIV-L, and CHIAPAS-L for the
writer, who does not have 'net access. Feel free to repost it
elsewhere and to send it to the press as well. Please e-mail
any comments or questions for him to me.

Carol Liu
<qladmin@class.org>
<standard disclaimer here>
0/12

Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon
President of the Republic of Mexico

Attn: Esteban Moctezuma
Barragan,Secretaria de Gobernacion

To the people of Mexico:
To the international press:
To the Trilateral Commission:

The Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) -- the 'faceless
ones', the masked ones, the rebels, those that Salinas de
Gortari called "professionals of violence," those that you,
Mr. President, call criminals -- have succeeded in unmasking
and revealng to the world the true character of the Chase
Manhattan Bank, Wall Street, The International Monetary Fund,
the World Bank, GATT, NAFTA, the World Trade Organization and
the Trilateral Commission. They call themselves 'honest
businesspeople,' when in reality they are "unos cabrones."

Chase Manhattan Bank fired Riordan Roett, author of the
infamous memo of January 13, 1995, which contained this
chilling paragraph: "While Chiapas, in our opinion, does not
pose a fundamental threat to Mexican political stability, it
is perceived to be so by many in the investment community.
The government will need to eliminate the Zapatistas to
demonstrate their effective control of the national territory
and of security policy."

The masks of the puppets and capitalist vampires, the
neoliberals and technocrats, have fallen, showing their true
faces, and their hands are dripping blood. The multinational
organizations and world economic institutions previously
named, above all the Trilateral Commission (founded in 1973 by
David Rockefeller and his cronies [com-pinches]), are the
creators of today's new world order. This amalgam of world
powers, inspired by the vision of

o a world dictatorship,
o a single military power
o a single economic order
o one world currency (the "cashless society")
o a monolithic, homogeneous global culture (a human
"alphabet soup")

have driven us into NAFTA and GATT. The next step will be to
create the American Common Market from Alaska to Argentina,
achieving the total economic, political, and military
integration of the Western hemisphere, once "barriers" such as
the Zapatista uprising, Castro's 'threat', and other emerging
Latin American struggles have been eliminated. In the United
States, ethnic cleansing -- indeed, the continuation of
genocide -- will be carried out against Native Americans,
Latinos, Asians, African-Americans, other minority groups, and
their supporters.

When the Asian economic bloc, led by Japan, obliterates the
threat of North Vietnam and North Korea, and brings China
under control, the integration of the East will be achieved.
The European Union is targeted to follow the same pattern, as
early as 1999-2002. The stage will then be set for the new
millenium, the dream of Caligula, Nero, Napoleon, Hitler, and
today's neoliberals, technocrats, and Trilateralists.

Once again, the little people, the faceless, the poor, the
sick, challenge with dignity (our sole remaining treasure) the
power of the beast. Mr. President, the members of our
organization, the Central Campesina Independiente del Estado
de Chihuahua, have been struggling for justice in the Sierra
Tarahumara. The condition of the indigenous peoples of
Chihuahua is no better than those in Chiapas or other parts of
the country.

We have been asking the American government, the United
Nations, and the government of Mexico to clean up the Rio
Grande, declared in 1992 a cesspool of toxic chemicals by the
American Medical Association. We demand immediate corrective
action by the multinational corporations responsible for the
creation of this environmental and human disaster. Our
brothers the Mayans ask for food, clothing, roads, education,
health care, land, and justice -- and you send the Army. In
Chihuahua, we ask for the same things; we want solutions, we
want peace with dignity. Mr. President, consider the
decisions you make. Washington and the organizations and
institutions mentioned above -- will they rule our country
forever?

>From somewhere in the jungles of New York City,

Felipe Perez Renteria
Delegado Especial de la Central Campesina Independiente del
Estado de Chihuahua ante las Naciones Unidas