"Quantitative" analysis

Robert Johnson (johnsorl@COLORADO.EDU)
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 22:37:50 -0700

On Thu, 2 Mar 1995, Danny Yee wrote:

> So where are the "natives living in harmony with the environment"?

For the progress of your education in anthropology, I would
suggest you read David Hyndman's article
"Conservation through Self-Determination:
Promoting the Interdependence of Cultural
and Biological Diversity"
which appeared in Human Organization, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1994

This should expand the limited and simplistic approaches to this
question among many in anthropology.

> Sure, modern industrial societies can change the environment far more, <
> but the difference is purely quantitative... <

Quantitative in terms of the physical and cultural genocide of
indigenous peoples.

Quantitative in the terms of the money to be made on the lands
and knowledge of indigenous peoples.

Quantitative in the methodological approach in anthropology's
move from the colonial to the outright genocide of the
"neo-colonial."

Quantitative in terms of the ignorance and opportunism required
to accomplish without conscience the destruction of indigenous
peoples in the way of their "development."

Quantitative in the lengths taken to mask racism and hypocrisy.