clipper chip

Gibson Carpenter (JWGC@UKANVAX.BITNET)
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 14:53:24 -0600

FORWARDED FROM: Hungerford, David
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 18:26:03 -0800
Sender: ecl290@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
From: prdavis@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Paul Davis)
To: Multiple recipients of list <ecl290@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: petition against Clipper Chip
Ecl290 folk,

Note: I previously sent this to the sociology list.

Below is a petition to cancel the clipper chip. As I understand it the
Clipper chip is intended be incorporated in all computers, phones and local
phone switches that have encription capabilities. Although these phones and
computers are very rare now this market isanticipated to grow very rapidly
since the network is *very* easily compromized, and there is no apparent
alternative solution to this security problem than to encrypt data at the
source and decrypt is at the endpoint of the transmission.

There are several disturbing aspects of the chip. 1) It uses an
encryption system developed by the NSA that was never made available to
public scrutiny. 2) The chip has a "back door" that will allow the
government to listen in on the encrypted signal. Supposedly the only way to
do this is with a court order but given the NSA's involvement this is
clearly suspect. 3) Encryption systems that do not have "back doors" may
(will? I'm not sure) be made illegal. 4) Finally the chip is designed to
disintegrate when tampered with so that it can never be reverse engineered.

In other words every critical piece of data in the US will be going
through a chip that the NSA developed. Sure makes me feel uneasy!

-Paul