Re: terminology

Michael John Evans (g8726246@MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA)
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 15:24:56 -0500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Evans, Anthropology &/ Heather Young-Leslie, Anthropology
McMaster University, Hamilton /or: York University, North York,
Ontario. (905) 525 9140 x23907 Ontario Canada (416) 736 5261
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Thu, 13 Jan 1994, Mike Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 1994, George Ulrich wrote:
> > We are doing a student exhibit this semester on a body/art/alteration
> > theme. Does anyone have a PC term for "mutilation" and "deformation?"
> > Is it important to circumlocute? What do ya'll think?
> >
> I believe those participating in such things refer to them as decoration
> or enhancement. but why mince words? Call a spade a bloody shovel.
> msmith
My comment to Mike Smith will probably raise the 'question of degree',
but here it is anyway, the most common response: "Does this mean that all
those men who are circumcised think of themselves as "mutilated" and/or
"deformed"? do their wives/lovers/girlfriends/sisters/buddies/parents
think of them as deformed and mutilated? Bodily alteration is probably
at least as old as hide tanning and fire (when you have needles, blades
and soot). Do either of you have pierced ears? Hair cuts?......
My response to George Ulrich is "yes, it is important to circumlocute in
order to avoid ethnocentrexecuting."