Re: Australian finds >100 000 BP?

Jerry Harden (hardenj@directcon.net)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:38:23 -0700

Howard Wiseman wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I heard a tiny snippet on the news that some archaeologists are claiming
> to have found artefacts/art? in Northern Australia dating back well over
> 100 000 BP. If this is true it would cause a major upset to current
> theories about the evolution and spread of modern humans. Is anyone out
> there able to fill me in on the details of this find, and whether it is
> to be taken seriously?th NY Times reports a find of artwork and artifacts but the dating seems
inconclusive .. anywhere from 70,000 to 176,000 ya. Further study and a
report is supposed to be in Dec issue of britain's Antiquity journal.
If anywhere near the earlier date holds true, there is a lot of
re-thinking in store, or maybe another dead end lineage?
Jerry Harden
Camino, Ca. USA
hardenj@directcon.net