Re: Australian finds >100 000 BP?

Robert D. Clark (rdclark@avalon.net)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:15:06 -0600

In article <524d4c$f1r@hobyah.cc.uq.oz.au>, Howard Wiseman
<wiseman@physics.uq.oz.au> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I heard a tiny snippet on the news that some archaeologists are claiming
> to have found artefacts/art? in Northern Australia dating back well over
> 100 000 BP. If this is true it would cause a major upset to current
> theories about the evolution and spread of modern humans. Is anyone out
> there able to fill me in on the details of this find, and whether it is
> to be taken seriously?

I caught the same thing, Headline News, IIRC. Said they had found both
bones and tools, circa 170,000 ya. If true, and if H. sap., kinda blows
the chronology for Australian occupation and the Out of Africa Hypothesis
in one shot. Anybody heard anything out of academic channels?

No time/space wasting sig with a cutesy political philosphy....
Now isn't THAT a thrill?