Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 18 Sep 96 21:24:06 GMT

In article <51p719$gjq@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>
nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk "Nick Maclaren" writes:

> In article <842902823snz@crowleyp.demon.co.uk>, Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk (Paul

> |> You're forgetting the relative speed and vulnerability of the
> |> predator. When the hunted wildebeest (or other prey) turns on
> |> a dog, it can quickly skip out of danger while others attack the
> |> prey's rear. H.n. wouldn't have the agility for this. It would
> |> just get mown down.
>
> Eh? Modern humans are quite capable of such manoeuvres (witness
> bullfighting). Why should Neanderthals be so much slower? I just
> DON'T believe that they got prematurely fat, paunchy and breathless!

I'm no expert on bullfighting, but I understand that the bulls are
well "prepared" for the matador by assistants on horseback who
put several lances through it. Also, matadors take great risks,
they're highly skilled, and use tricks which would not have been
available to Neanderthals. And above all, the fighting bulls
are specially bred for the purpose. They are allowed only one
fight, because if they had a second one the matador's dodging
would not work. The bull would not be fooled second time around.

> Hunting red deer, reindeer, ponies
> and wild sows with clubs alone is well within the ability of modern
> man.

Eh? With clubs alone? Have you evidence for this?
In any case (as I said before) being a fast runner is essential
for this sort of hunting and one thing we can agree on (I hope)
is that H.n. was not selected for speed.

Paul.