Re: Homo Fossil timeline

Bob Keeter (b_keeter@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us)
18 Sep 1996 01:17:30 GMT

dbarnes@liv.ac.uk (Dan Barnes) wrote:
>In article <51fj96$a1v@ash.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
>b_keeter@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us says...

<snip>

>It is part of the multiregional arguement that AMHs evolved from Neanderthals in
>Europe. Neanderthals did evolve from erectus (or its equivalent in Europe) and
>then migrated to the Middle East.
>
>>Was there a "robust" Erectus in Asia that matched the
>>Neanderthal period?
>
>This has been disproved by Santa Luca (1978).

I did not think that there was a "Erectus Robustus" but I did not know
that it had been "proved".

>>Why would the Neanderthal physiology have been limited to
>>Europe and near east when the climatic changes that
>>supposedly favored the physique were considerably more
>>widespread? (Were there central/east Asian Neanderthals?
>>I think not?)
>
>No, as above. Europe (and Africa) could have been isolated for long periods of
>time and, unlike in the Far East, they were not able to migrate from their climatic
>area (due to the Med.) and so developed to the respective climates.

Actually, that is my arguement against "parallel development", i.e. if the
robust Neanderthal-like physiology did not develop independently in a
H. Erectus population in Asia in response to similar environmental pressure,
why should we suppose separate but parallel evolution towards modern
man! Northern Siberia had an environment at least as rugged as Europe
during the Ice Ages, but did not develop an Asiatic Neanderthal (as
best as I can tell!).

At the same time, the Neanderthals and their Erectus contemporaries
settled into an apparently little changing life style and society for
several hundred thousand years, only to completely be supplanted by
a rocket-like parallel evolution to modern man? Dont think so boss!

<snip>

>This, again is the multiregional arguement. This continuity of traits has been
>used to support the Continuity models of human evolution rather than the
>Replacement models (e.g. the Afro-European Sapiens and Recent African
>Evolution Models

I guess that I am really thinking of the "absorption" theory, ie
that the local Neanderthal and Erectus populations may just have
merged with the more modern man that was streaming out of Africa.
Sort of like the Roman, Hun and even Mongol occupations of Europe.

>>I know that some of this has been discussed many times, but
>>I would like to get a fresh discussion based on some of the
>>more recent discoveries (i.e. Neanderthals that are only 30k yrs
>>old, etc)
>>

>These are usually all from Iberia e.g. Zafarraya (Hublin et al., 1995).

I thought that there were also some 30k Neanderthals discovered in
Bosnia, Croatia or Macedonia in what used to be Yugoslavia.

>The Origins of Humankind site now has a Message Board devoted to the
>Neanderthals and we hope to cover these and other Neanderthal based topics
>there as well.

I'll drop in for a peek. Thanks much.

bk