Re: Creationists win the schools in New Mexico

Jim Yahr (yahr@cemrc.nmsu.edu)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:02:28 -0600

Daniel D Scripture wrote:

<<snipped>>

> What puzzles me about all this is what they propose to teach in a
> biology class that doesn't teach evolution--modern biology _is_
> evolution. There is no part of biology that is not affected quite
> directly by evolutionary theory. Evolutionary theory is _the_
> theoretical background of _all_ biology. So what the hell are they
> going to teach, even if they don't teach creationism? 18th century
> taxonomy?
>
> Dan Scripture
> UC Santa Cruz

I think you're misunderstanding the attitude of politicians here in New
Mexico. When we moved here last year, we looked for schools for our
kids. Once they get past sixth grade, the education system goes to
hell. We asked about it and where told outright that "We don't want our
kids too well educated. When we do, they leave the state and don't come
back." As a consequence, teachers aren't well paid, the gov. wants to
CUT teacher salaries, and nationally the education system ranks in the
bottom 5 states.

Jim Yahr
Carlsbad, NM