Re: cannibalism among chimps

/\/\ (raven@kaiwan.com)
4 Sep 1996 23:27:15 -0700

In article <5049rn$3el@hermes.achilles.net>,
ykhan@achilles.net (Yousuf Khan) wrote:
>On 28 Aug 1996 00:28:34 -0700, raven@kaiwan.com (/\/\ ) wrote:
>
>>In article <4ve18b$e3a@hermes.achilles.net>,
>>ykhan@achilles.net (Yousuf Khan) wrote:
>>>Hello,

[deletia]

>>>Are there any sites devoted to this topic?
>
>>Not that I'm aware of, but I know something that can add to your
>>'database'. Another show, from Jane Goodall's study, showed a
>>mother/daughter pair that would once in a while, steal a baby
>>from within their tribe and cannibalize it. It was rather shocking
>>to Mrs. Goodall. In time, the mother died but the daughter did not
>>carry on this behavior.
>
>You know, now that you mention that, I remember seeing that
>original show too. Also weren't all of that mother's children
>involved in the cannibalism, not just a single daughter?

I don't recall that, but then it was more than a year
since I've seen that show.

>Once the deed was done, the mother would go and console the dead
>baby's mother as if it was something that was necessary to be
>done.

I think I remember that too. Strange behaviour that.

Steve "Chris" Price
Associate Professor of Computational Aesthetics
Amish Chair of Electrical Engineering
University of Ediacara "A fine tradition since 530,000,000 BC"
raven@kaiwan.com