Re: Creationists win the schools in New Mexico

phoenix (phoenix@gc.net)
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 16:18:49 -0400

George Cooper wrote:

> HARRY R. ERWIN wrote:
> >
> > Bryant (mycol1@unm.edu) wrote:
> > : I want to make sure that this thread's readers are made aware that I
> > : (accidentally) exaggerated the gravity of the situation in NM.
> > : Creationism is *not* mandated by the new school board
> > : guidelines--evolution has simply been removed as a requirement for
> > : biology classes. The issue of creationism is "left open" to the
> > : individual teachers.
> >
> > : Bryant
> >
> > It'll bounce once it hits the courts. This has already been hashed out in
> > the Supreme Court.
> >
> > --
> > Harry Erwin, Internet: herwin@gmu.edu, Web Page: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin
> > 49 year old PhD student in computational neuroscience ("how bats do it" 8)
> > and lecturer for CS 211 (data structures and advanced C++)
>
> Chapter & verse?
>
> GC

The question is which creation story gets taught? You see if the
creation story of only Christianity gets taught, it is government
promoting one religion. Therefore, for it to ever be legal by any
stretch, all creation stories must be taught from every religion.
Wonder how they will have time in the school day to accommodate any
other subjects?