Re: DISCOVER/Neanderthal/Homo Sap.

Harry Erwin (
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:50:39 -0400

In article <>, (H. M. Hubey) wrote:

> (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:
> >The evidence is not so clear. With India, we have Indo-Europeans entering
> >from Central Asia between 3 and 4 thousand years ago, so we can do a
> >crude calibration that way. For Northern and Western Europe, if Renfrew
> What kind of evidence/proof are we offered that there was
> no intermarriage and hence gene flow that would explain
> the "darkening"?

None. There was definitely gene flow. (The caste system was probably a
consequence.) The Indian data show what happens when the genes are
available without mutation. My point is the selection for a darker skin
does occur.

> Why haven't the South American Indians become even darker;
> they've certainly been around in that environment a lot longer
> than the Indo-Europeans in India.

A good issue. I'll defer to the physical anthropologists on this, but I
think you will find that they are about as dark, implying the selective
process has stabilized.

> --
> Regards, Mark

Harry Erwin
Home Page: (try again if necessary)
PhD student in comp neurosci: "Glitches happen" & "Meaning is emotional"