Re: AAT Theory

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
24 Sep 1995 01:36:36 -0400

j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J. Moore) writes:

>I am not aware that they walk bipedally, only that they
>occassionally stand up. Please give the references which support
>your claim that wild polar bears regularly walk bipedally as do
>many, indeed most, primates.

I'd tend to think that bears in general seem to be more bipedal
than say cats or dogs. Now that I think of it, I'm not aware
of any bears in subsaharan Africa.

Is it possible that it is the other bears that are descended from
something like the polar bear whose "bipedalism" is also due
to being an aquatic animal?

>Let's see: humans have big heads and broad shoulders, long legs
>(which create drag -- that's why aquatic mammals have short limbs);
>guess apes would be more streamlined (gibbons especially). Now
>where's your reference to the contrary?

Apes would not be more more streamlined than humans and neither
would animals like dogs or cats. Computing the drag coefficient
is a difficult business but it could be done experimentally.

>waterholes in the desert of Chad!), there were no "non-infested"
>waters available for these purported aquatic hominids. If, as you
>now suggest, they didn't live in such waters, they didn't live in
>any eastern African waters.

Sorry to ask these questions but

1) were crocodiles always big?
2) were there salt water crocodiles ?