Re: JDM on Negus.

Elaine Morgan (Elaine@desco.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 15:38:05 GMT

In article: <60.2807.7295.0N1F5C06@canrem.com> j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J.
Moore) writes:

> El> you could have asked me for the page
> El> references. It would have saved you a lot of time.
>
> I didn't know it was an option: please post all the complete
> references to all the statements in all your books. Thank you.

Nice one!

> Frankly, even a causual
> reading of just the chapter headings and summaries makes Denton's
> position clear: "Hedonic intake of salt is a definitive component
> in the overall physiological organization of salt appetite in man
> and reflects behaviour favourable to survival under the conditions
> in which the species evolved. The author differs with the viewpoint
> of Dahl (1960), reiterated by Freis (1976), who proposed salt
> appetite in man is induced rather than innate".

Sure. Salt appetite in most mammals is innate - in all,,probably. My
comment (which was true), based on Denton and Haldane and the experience
of doctors treating children dying of dysentery, is that in humans it is
sometimes dangerously slow to become activated, just as with the sweating
response to a rise in temperature. My impression was that it was not so
slow in other species. This claim, as you are obviously going to keep on
rubbing in till doomsday, cannot be substantiated.

> El> May I ask a simple question? Why do you think it happened? You're a
> El> whizz with the destructive criticisms. How about some positive
ideas for
> El> a change?
> .
>
> That's quite humorous, Elaine,

Meaning you're not going to try to answer it.

> Tell me, what aquatic animal uses eccrine sweating?

The harp seal.

--
Elaine