Re: questions from first read of Lucy

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
8 Sep 1995 23:04:29 GMT

In article <kmkniff1.57.304E15FB@omni.voicenet.com>,
kevin m. kniffin <kmkniff1@omni.voicenet.com> wrote:
>finally read lucy and have some q's...

>2) dart's hypothesis that early humanoid killers were right-handed makes me
>wonder about the evolution of "handedness." do other animals show a
>preference for either hand/foot. i would imagine it is a result of the brain
>splitting in half, but want to know more...

I have heard that other animals can have a particular handedness, but
that there is no other species in which one 'hand' is much more common
than the other.

>3) have any fossil chimps been found since Lucy was written? is there a
>general reason for this?

I think I have heard of a fragment or two that *might* be fossil chimps,
but nothing good enough to be firmly identified as such.

--

Jim (Chris) Foley, jim.foley@symbios.com
Assoc. Prof. of Omphalic Envy Research interest: