Re: DISCOVER/Neanderthal/Homo Sap.

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
7 Sep 1995 13:10:03 -0400

bcat@netcom.com (Bearcat) writes:

>Fifty thousand years is probably an exaggeration -- more like 40,000.

That's even better. Asians might have crossed the Bering straits
about 40,000 according to some, so they were in the northern
climates just as long.

>Another mistake you're making is the assumption that sub-Saharan
>Africans of 50kya were as dark as they are today.

Reasonable, don't you think? Or are we supposed to assume that the
first 950,000 years had no effect but only the last 50,000 years did?

>a few turning left again and back to Europe about 40kya, meeting,
>and mating with, new colonizers fresh from sub-Saharan Africa,
>probably looking for a spot that wasn't already taken by
>earlier pioneers, firmly ensconced in north Africa.

They've been mixing for a long time.

--

Regards, Mark

http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey