Re: DISCOVER/Neanderthal/Homo Sap.

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
3 Sep 1995 17:46:05 -0400

phall@primenet.com (Peggy Hall) writes:

>: disagree and argue that Neadertals did evolve into modern humans.

>It is fairly well-established that Neanderthals did not evolve into
>modern humans.

Where is that established. How about Trinkhous and Woloff[sp?]?
The argument is that since the early days when [because of an
arthritic skeleton] the thought was that Neanderthals were
stooped, half gorrilla like savages, we've come tothe point
now so many bones have been found, some of them not clearly
showing either Neanderthal or modern characteristics but
displaying what are seen as "transition" characteristics, it
is thought that there was mixing. So, we have bones which range
from the modern to the Neanderthal, a spectrum which shows that
they all belonged to the same species.

--

Regards, Mark

http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey