Re: DISCOVER/Neanderthal/Homo Sap.

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
3 Sep 1995 13:41:36 -0400

ghanenbu@inter.nl.net (Gerrit Hanenburg) writes:

>>Are these differences as large as the differences between, say
>>a dachshund and an Afghan Hound, or between a bulldog and a
>>Kangal, or a chiuaua and a Great Dane ?

>Are you suggesting we should compare the differences between Neanderthals and
>modern humans with those between the different breeds of the highly
>*artificially* selected domestic dog?Give me a break,Hubey!

I've given you your break :-).

1)Most of the artificial selection happened during the last couple
hundred years. The "humanoids" had about 1 million years to do
it "naturally."

2) The question is about methodology. Whether a human falls off, is
thrown or jumps from the 25th floor of a building matter not a whit
to what happens to him when he hits the concrete.

The fact is that the hotdog dachshund is a dog, just like the
sleek and large Afghan hound. A bulldog is a dog, just like the
Kangal. etc. Now explain why the "theory" that the Neanderthals
and the Cro-magnons were a different species because of some
bumps on the skull or some other small change in skull shapes
doesn't operate with dogs.

What makes artificial selection different. Does it work against
the laws of genetics? Or does it merely speed things up in
a specific direction according to the selector? Think carefully
before you answer.

--

Regards, Mark

http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey