Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Paul Crowley (
Sat, 12 Oct 96 20:02:25 GMT

In article <53irrf$> "Robert Gotschall" writes:

> You and many others have remarked on
> how heavily built the Neanderthal people were. I can't but wonder if
> all this musculature was necessary just to collect roots and berries.

Do male gorillas have all that musculature just to gather leaves?

IMHO Neanderthal musculature probably resulted from intra-species
competition. If the weaponry was not particularly advanced
(i.e. little in the way of throwing spears) combat would have
been hand-to-hand, where muscles count. The powerful anatomy
might also have been for protection against predators, although
I can't visualise how.