Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Robert Gotschall (hobgot@ix.netcom.com(Robert)
10 Oct 1996 12:57:19 GMT

In <1996Oct9.114625.1825@bermls.oau.org> brent@bermls.oau.org (Brent
Ermlick) writes:

>Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
> . . .
>
>: Even in the complete absence of other predators, a "hunting
>: Neanderthal" is hard to conceive. Given the presence of highly
>: effective ones such as lions, it's a total No-No. How did such
> ^^^^^^^^^
>IMHO, in arctic-type conditions, wolf-pack like predators are more
>effective than lion-pride like predators. This might just be my
>prejudice given current-day conditions, however. But would you say
>that the presence of wolf packs would make stone-age hunters hard
>to conceive of in northern Siberia?
>
>: a crazy idea ever get off the ground?
>
>: Paul.
>
>--
>Brent J. Ermlick (407)331-6625

brent@bermls.oau.org
Paul

It seems to me the idea got started the same way one of the best
arguments for littoral living got started. Present humans seem to
prefer life near bodies of water, unlike most other apes. Therefore,
at some time in the past, primitive humans did also. Present day
humans hunt, some anyway, especially near the arctic. I think it
reasonable to assume, especially given the evidence for chimpanzee
predation, that primitive humans did also. The real question is how
early and how important it was. You and many others have remarked on
how heavily built the Neanderthal people were. I can't but wonder if
all this musculature was necessary just to collect roots and berries.
What do people live on during an ice age anyway? This is a serious
question. Trying to imagine just how our ancestors lived during
various periods in our evolution is why I'm at this NG.
Felicitations

Hob