Re: Australian finds >100 000 BP?

Bob McKay (rim@dolphin.cs.adfa.oz.au)
29 Sep 96 23:20:28 GMT

Bob Keeter <b_keeter@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us> writes:
>If he got to Austrailia 100k years ago, what was
>keeping man out of the North American and South American
>continent in the same time frame?

Getting to Australia required the ability to survive sea voyages of ~100km in
a pleasant climate; getting to America required _either_ the ability to survive
sea voyages of thousands of km _or_ the technology to handle arctic latitudes
(in an ice age, no less). The problems are a different order of magnitude.
Cheers
Bob McKay

--
,-_|\ Bob McKay, Comp Sci, ADFA tel:+61 6 268 8169 / = \
/ \ ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA fax:+61 6 268 8581 / :::::: \