Re: chimps on the savanna? Nooooo.....

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
26 Oct 1995 23:21:34 -0400

Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

I, Hubey, wrote this
>>YOu cite references as if there's some kind of an unassailable
>>proof whereas all most of them have are some raw measurements,
>>photos, pictures, and lots of conclusions which are debatable.

and still stick to it, since I have looked at some of the
references graciously provided by Mr. Duncan, and see no
reason to change my mind.

>authoritative statement that chimps don't go onto the savanna. Hubey

Look guy, here it is, from CEHE, page 192.

Number of simian primates plotted against degree of plant cover.
Plant cover ranges from Equatorial Forest (EF) to grassland (G). There's
no "savannah" because it means "grassland" or "steppe"
as I already posted. The number is 8 at EF and zero at G.
You want to argue; write to CEHE. Peter Andrews wrote this section.

PS. page 84 energy efficiency

We are not so efficient, are we?

>questioned my citation, because apparently the information doesn't show
>up in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution, which is, I suspect,
>the only thing on the subject Hubey has ever read.

YOu should really do better than this.

>Well, Hubey: I provided a citation from a group of respected
>primatologists who actually went to Africa and actually observed chimps
>living in the habitat in question.

I guess CEHE is written by quacks, who fake data.

You really should try to understand what you read.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey