Re: Body Hair Loss in Aquatic Mammals

Thomas Clarke (clarke@acme.ucf.edu)
22 Oct 1995 12:59:20 GMT

In article <hubey.814288397@pegasus.montclair.edu> hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:

> "riverine
>savannah", "savannah ocean interface"... :-)..

Those sound about right for an environment to turn miocene apes into
hominds.

< Regarding baboons>

>So are they too stupid to realize that standing upright will
>cool them down or not? Can they feel themselves cool down
>or not? If not where is the savings in heat expulsion? If
>they can feel themselves cool down, then why shouldn't they
>have become more bipedal? Hell, they still got their fur?

I pretty much agree, but you must phrase this properly if you
want your opponents to listen.
How about?
Those baboons with behavior that included standing upright would
have less heat buildup, therefore they would be more successful
and have more offspring leading to more baboons with standing
behavior. A similar argument can be applied to the loss of hair.

>So if the savannah did it, there must have been some
>special mechanism? What was it? Did the lions step on
>their tails?

Yes why did only the Australopithecus line become bipedal
if all it takes is an ape and savannah or a mosaic savannah?

Tom Clarke