Re: chimps on the savanna? Nooooo.....

David L Burkhead (
22 Oct 1995 02:46:55 GMT

In article <> writes:
>In article <466kr5$>
> "Alex Duncan" writes:

[ 8< Chimps not found with hominid fossils >8 ]

> a) You say they could have shared the same ecosystem
> b) They have never been found together, so they probably didn't
> c) The hominids almost certainly occupied a . . . . . . ecosystem.
> (Space left for word ^^^^^^^^^^^ )
>We're definitely getting warmer.

Chimps (what we mean by chimps) probably did not _exist_ at the
same time as early hominids. Remember chimps are _not_ the common
ancestor. Chimps and humans both evolved from _something else_.
There's no particular reason of which I am aware that the species we
call "chimps" has been around any longer than homo sapiens, let alone
as long as genus homo or australopithecus.

That _chimps_ weren't found with hominids is no more surprising
than that _humans_ weren't found there either.

Now as to proto-chimps not being found there, that's not
particularly remarkable either. I don't recall many sites where
contemporaneous species of hominids are found together either.
Sites where _one_ species is found are rare enough that not finding a
site where _both_ were found is hardly surprising.

David L. Burkhead

Spacecub - The Artemis Project - Artemis Magazine

Box 831
Akron, OH 44309-0831