Re: Body Hair Loss in Aquatic Mammals

Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 14:41:01 GMT

hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) graced us with the following
words:

>hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:

>>If cattle can keep cool by gathering on hilltops, some kind
>>of an ape should have been able to assume the famous position
>>and keep cool to "extend the foraging times".

>Sorry to follow-up to my own post but I should clarify
>this. I meant to pick on baboons because someone seems
>to have suggested that baboons are/were plains animals.

A savannah is not a plain.

>Perhaps an animal with the intelligence of a baboon
>would have noticed that they did not overheat when
>standing bipedally.

Perhaps far off in space, cosmic bunnies control our fate.
Perhaps monkeys will fly out my butt.

Perhaps baboons baboons already occupy a successful ecological
niche on the savannah. Perhaps baboons are biomechanically too
specialized to become full time bipeds.

>--

> Regards, Mark
> http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey

Phil Nicholls pnich@globalone.net
"To ask a question you must first know most of the answer"
-Robert Sheckley