Re: tears

jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk
17 Oct 1995 15:30:39 GMT

Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>OK then, what about those tears?
>
>What about them? I assume you think human tears must be some means for
>maintaining salt balance?
>
>One problem with this: the salinity of human tears matches the salinity
>of the body. They are not used as a salt excretion mechanism.

But they may have been by our ancestors. The point is that elephants and
humans are the only two non-marine animals that weep when they are upset
and AAT proposes that both have marine ancestors. All other animals that
weep when they are upset are marine. Examples incluse seals, marine crocs
etc.. I will post some references when I have time....

James Borrett.