Re: Origins of human tho€€€€€

EVELYNE STALZER (evelyne.stalzer@cencore.com)
Sun, 15 Oct 95 13:58:00 -0300

Scott Collins wrote:

SC> I'm highly unimpressed with the material that says
SC> Neanderthals were really capable of this kind of thing.

J. Moore responded:

JM> A judicious amount of speculation on this subject might not be
JM> out of line in your study.

Scott, if you'd like to read another author's speculation, look at
J. Shreeve's _The_Neandertal_Enigma_, 1995. It's more a work
of popular science than technical science, but you might be
interested in the author's speculations regarding language usage and
the so-called Paleolithic Explosion. The latter part of the book is
speculative, but appears to some commonality with your own leanings.

If you'd like to look more closely at human cognition, I'd recommend
Nicholas Humphrey. The only work of his I have on hand is _A_
History_of_the_Mind_:Evolution_and_the_Birth_of_Consciousness_,
1992. The notes include references which might also be of value to
you. I found this one insightful, and I should probably re-read
it. :)

While locating the Humphrey book on my shelves, I also found William
H. Calvin's 1991 book _The_Ascent_of_Mind_:_Ice_Age_Climates_and_
the_Evolution_of_Intelligence_. This book also contains a notes
section that includes references.

If you are considering the connection between language and art, you
might also want to look up Ellen Dissanayake's _Homo_Aestheticus_:
_Where_Art_Comes_From_and_Why_, 1992. The index includes references
to language, and there are sections for both references and notes.
However, language is =not= Dissnaayake's major concern.

This is an area of hominid development I find intriguing, so I would
be interested to hear of your progress, Scott. Good luck with your
work.

Evelyne Stalzer
evelyne.stalzer@cencore.com

* RM 1.3 01313 * Grey does not invalidate the existance of black and white.