Re: Crowley theory

David Froehlich (eohippus@moe.cc.utexas.edu)
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 16:01:56 -0500

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Paul Crowley wrote:

> > > I presume you accept that there were major disadvantages in becoming
> > > bipedal: i.e. the mother had to use one or both arms to carry her
> > > child everywhere she went, meaning that she could not run, climb,
> > > use a club, or throw rocks when in the presence of a predator, nor
> > > could she sleep in a tree at night. In fact the viability of her
> > > existence is questionable.
> >
> > I accept nothing of the kind.
>
> All I'm asking about is the disadvantages of *becoming* bipedal. This
> happened. So it had some advantages (we would disagree about what
> they were - but we are not discussing that). Please answer:
> (a) Did this process also have disadvantages?
> (b) If so, would they include those I mentioned above?

A) it is possible that there were disadvantages.
B) Yes those you metioned -could- be some of them, however, we have no
evidence that they were. I am not disagreeing that your contention could
be true, that bipedality was very difficult to evolve, where you and I
disagree is that you are a proponent and I am a skeptic. I (as a
reasonably intelligent scientist) am your audience, and I am saying that
you are assuming that these disadvantages make terrestrial bipedality
impossible and that only leaves aquatic bipedality (sensu AAS) as the
option. Now, I will admit that I am biased against AAS, yet I still find
the basic premises untestable. How do you know that maternal
survivorship is decreased. Your basic statement is "it must have
decreased because I can see no way for these females to be both bipedal
and rear offspring" I challanged this basic contention. How would you
test this premise. If I do not accept your premise, I will not accept
your conclusion.

> > Any primate mother has disadvantages when
> > rearing offspring, but they seem to get along quite fine? How do they do
> > this? There are a variety of responses including parental investment
> > either in terms of protection or food sharing. Why are these not an
> > option? Especially since all hominoids live in comunal groups.
>
> You are just ducking the issue here. You are saying that all sorts
> of responses are possible. Responses to what?

claim to your contention. Basically that other organisms rear their
young without apparent decrease in survivorship (e.g. babboons, vervets,
gibbons, etc.) they do this through a variety of behavoiral and physical
ways. Why are the proto-hominids incapable of similar responses.

> > You still have not addressed my basic question of how you would know if
> > any of the asumptions are wrong?
>
> I just don't understand your point. Would you mind listing the
> assumptions that I appear to be making, to which the question
> "how would I know if it was wrong?" could properly be addressed.

You should be aware of your own assumptions, because anything that you
assume is untestable and lost from your analysis. If I want to study the
relationships of higher primates, I cannot assume without any evidence
things like hominid, catarhine or platyrhine monophyly since this is what
I want to discover. Likewise, you cannot assume without evidence that
bipedality is imposible to achieve in a terrestrial setting if that is
what you want to test. (I realize that the two examples above are not
specifically what you are asking, but they demonstrate my point).

I am just an interested party to this discussion and what I am doing here
is tossing rocks at your theory. I do not want to do your analysis, I
have my own interests, however, what I can do is point out the weaknesses
in your methodology.

Hope this answers your questions. (we will probably never totally agree
but what I would like to see is a more robust version of your line of
reasoning)

David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712