Re: A Specification for a

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 15 Oct 95 09:47:54 GMT

In article <60.3390.7295.0N1F90E6@canrem.com>
j#d#.moore@canrem.com "J. Moore" writes:

> Pa> The consistent pressure towards better bipedalism
> Pa> over some 50,000 to 100,000 generations and the selective advantages
> Pa> of this progression in *each* generation must be explicitly stated.
>
> The extreme gradualist position you take here is at odds with
> evolutionary theory (even in Darwin's *On the Origin of Species*).
> Holding to such a notion requires overturning 150 years of
> evolutionary thought

In suggesting this period, I was deferring to what I understood was
the judgement of those more qualified. Namely that hominids retained
significant grasping ability in the foot until after 3 mya. If the
process started at 5mya, that's > 2Myr.

I'd be happier with a much shorter period, say 0.5Myr. But the
presence and use of trees would inhibit it.

How about an expert opinion from you, Alex, or anyone as to the
appropriate period?

Paul.