Re: Aquatic predators... was Re: AAT Theory

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
15 Oct 1995 01:41:43 -0400

j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J. Moore) writes:

>Theories of land-based evolution of hominids *must* deal with the
>problem of predation; why is it you feel that the AAT should be accorded
>special treatment and be allowed to ignore it?

There is no special treatment.

We don't as SST or MST folks to explain how the hominids escaped lions
in the forests or the tigers in the grasslands/steppes/savannah.

There is a proper predator for every niche that has to be
accounted for but there is no reason to assume that every patch of
water was infested with crocodiles. With the sea levels changing,
rising/falling, new rivers being created, new lakes being formed
etc it's not impossible that there were locations which were not
infested. But you cannot take this escape for lions since the
new lakes and rivers are separated from old ones by land which
the crocs could not have crossed.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey