Re: Crocodile Rock

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 14 Oct 95 22:44:06 GMT

In article <45o7n7$45k@scotsman.ed.ac.uk> jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk writes:

> Yes, our ancesters would have died in large numbers to
> crocodiles if they swam in the sea. But it isn't impossible that some
> would have survived, so this doesn't destroy the theory.

As I understand it, the seawater crocodile does not navigate when
sea; it drifts with the current. All crocodiles rely on stealth to
approach potential prey. They need muddy/occluded water and only
inhabit rivers, estuaries, swamps and the like. So the predation
rate in the clear waters of the marine littoral would be negligible.

Paul.