Re: AAT Theory

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
10 Oct 1995 22:30:57 -0400

ghanenbu@inter.nl.net (Gerrit Hanenburg) writes:

>forest cousin.Why does the Eastern lowland-gorilla not interbreed with the
>Mountain gorilla? How do populations become isolated from each other?
>Geographically?Ecologically?Behaviourally?Take your pick.

This brings up a question that I had before but got lost in the
shuffle. There was an earlier post in which someone mentioned
species of monkeys which "we" cannot tell apart just from the
skeletons. Has anyone actually tried artificial insemination
to see if any of these monkeys are genetically capable of
interbreeding ? Is it only because they do not interbreed in
the wild of their free will that they are considered separate
(biological) species?

The same question is about the gorillas mentioned above. Has
anyone actually tried to see if they are genetically capable
of interbreeding?

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey