Re: AAT:A method to falsify

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
7 Oct 1995 15:07:10 -0400

r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:

> A) Waters, even tropical waters, never reach 98.6 for any
>extended period except when volcanically heated, but volcanically
>heated waters tend to be in small pockets--too small for escaping land
>predators and so irrelevant to your claim.

So what? Look at Easter Island.

Maybe what AAT needs is somekind of an ideal location for something
as unique as human evolution. Besides, that was a more general
comment only a part of which applied to the problem at hand.

> B) According to the geology professors at the University of
>Akron, waters so warm have not existed since at least the Cretaceous,
>and maybe not since the Cambrian.

OK. I asked about how they know the temperatures at another
post. I'd like to know.

>>1) we aren't talking about 1995

> We're talking about anytime in the last 65 million years, at least.

Sometimes. And sometimes we're only talking about the last 2-5 Mya.

>>2) you can switch back and forth rapidly enough to spend many hours
>>in water and yet keep the body temperature constant.

> Incorrect. The effect is _cumulative_. When you are in the water
>you expend a great deal of energy just to keep warm.

YOu come out when you cool down. Where does it say that you
have to stay there until you're ready to freeze.

It takes _time_
>to recover that energy. Switching back and forth causes a downward
>spiral that leaves you able to spend less and less time in the water
>with each repetition.

We're discussing two different things. If you are forced to live
in the water for durations beyond your control, you're right.
If all you wanted was to stay cool, you can choose your duration
and keep a steady state.

>>3) Even cattle know enough to find high ground around noon to get
>>breeze to keep cool. I've seen it.

> Um, so? Relevance?

Humanoids would have been able to keep a steady-state temperature.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey