Re: punc eq and AAS

David Froehlich (eohippus@moe.cc.utexas.edu)
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:53:05 -0500

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, David Froehlich wrote:

> A general question to Mr. Hubey
>
> Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you bother to read any of the
> primary literature?
>
> David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
> Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
> J.J. Pickle Research Campus
> The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712

This actually came out sounding a lot more snide than I had intended.
I actually had two serious questions.

1) Do the pro AAS folks actually have a background in the
paleoanthropologic and philosophy of science literature?

I ask this because Mr. Hubey keeps throwing around statements about
bone-gazing and it seems a bit disingenuous since he seems to want to use
exactly the same information to support AAS. You cannot have it both
ways. Either "bone-gazing" provides information for fossil studies and
the paleoanthro people have some idea what they are talking about or it
provides no information and nobody can support any hypotheses about
evolutionary transformations (AAS included). If Mr. Hubey wants to
inject more rigor into the paleoanthro realm he is welcome to try but
unsupported claims that there is no rigor in the science do not help.

2)From the tenor of Mr. Hubey's posts, he seems not to bother reading the
literature. For example, when I first started following this thread,
there were claims that the mammalian diving reflex provided some unique
information for supporting an aquatic period between non human
anthropoids and humans, yet when this was thoroughly shot down, he
ignores it or demands more rigor. The AAS presents a moving target. So
the question is, Are you being deliberately obtuse to encourage argument
or do you sincerely believe AAS. If you do believe AAS you need to read
something more than the popular articles, such as the primary paleoanthro
literature with all of the included information.