lions, chimps and sticks

Alex Duncan (aduncan@mail.utexas.edu)
4 Oct 1995 12:17:52 GMT

In article <hubey.812777481@pegasus.montclair.edu> H. M. Hubey,
hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu writes:

>>are the most social primates. If you were a lion would you attack a
>>GROUP of large primates wielding branches and stones? I think not.
>
>If I were a lion I probably wouldn't know that sticks and stones
>could hurt my bones.
>
>They'd have to be hurt by sticks or stones or they wouldn't even
>know what to do about them. YOu can scare dogs or even cats
>by making throwing-displays. They don't know what it means.

What exactly is your point here? Are you saying that if you were a lion,
you WOULD attack a group of large-bodied primates wielding sticks, rocks,
etc., who were simultaneously screaming, jumping up and down, and
threatening you with their weapons?

Alex Duncan
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin