Re: AAT Theory

David L Burkhead (r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu)
3 Oct 1995 04:31:01 GMT

In article <hubey.812663434@pegasus.montclair.edu> hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:
>r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:
>
>>In article <hubey.812626555@pegasus.montclair.edu> hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:
>
>> You might want to actually _learn_ something about the subject
>>before discoursing on it. You are, quite simply, wrong. Chimpanzees
>>are quite capable of dealing with any predator found in their
>>environs. They will lose the occasional group member to predation,
>>but the loss is not heavy.
>
>We are discussing savannah (i.e. the closest thing to the open
>plains) where these days lions, hyenas and wild dogs prowl.
^^^^^^^^^^

Wealth of meaning in those two words.

>Chimps would be no match for a pack of lions, hyenas, or even
>wild dogs. They can swing all the sticks they want.

A: Lions don't generally hunt in packs. BTW, the word isn't
"pack" when dealing with lions. A social grouping of lions is called
a "pride." Single lions (the typical hunting unit) are far easier to
handle than an entire pride would be. In fact, human tribes have made
the killing of a lion using little more than an involved form of
pointed stick a part of their adulthood rites.

B: hyenas aren't the worlds most courageous animals. Given a
choice between fighting and running, they'll generally run.

C: Ditto most wild dogs.

D: As others have posted here, Chimpanzees _have_ demonstrated
the ability to deal with these predators.

>Anyway, this is getting boring, not to mention tiresome listening
>to pompousness.

If you consider correction to your errors of fact and errors of
logic "pompousness" then you'll never learn anything. Your
prerogative, I guess.

David L. Burkhead
r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu
d.l.burk@ix.netcom.com

--
Spacecub - The Artemis Project - Artemis Magazine

Box 831
Akron, OH 44309-0831