re:piltdown

Rick Grant (rgrant@synapse.net)
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:22:51 GMT

Donald Boyle <boyle001@coyote.csusm.edu> wrote:

>Also, does anyone know what Steven Jay Gould has written about this.I
>know that he has attacked Chardin in the past but I have been unable to
>find which publication this was in.

It's not really an attack, Gould treats Teilhard with considerable
respect as he dissects the man's behaviour during and following the
discovery of Piltdown.

The essay you want is called "Piltdown Revisited" and it is published
in a collection of Gould's essays called "The Panda's Thumb". It's
put out by W W Norton & Company, available in paperback, and can be
found in pretty well any bookstore that has a decent science/nature
section.

Rick Grant

rgrant@synapse.net
Ottawa, Canada