Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:04:33 -0800

John Waters wrote:
> Barbary Apes sleep in rocky
> crevices, which presumably affords some protection against
> nocturnal predation. Do you think the hominids would have
> moved to a higher altitude as a result of bipedalism? I
> gather most of the fossils are found on elevated sites.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I assume you meant
where most fossils can be preserved for millenia (to be later
discovered by us). In that case, the reverse of what you said is true.
Nearly all *preserved* fossils were *originally* deposited in
lowland basin settings.
Basins are (both topographically and sedimentologically) the
exact opposite of elevated regions (such as mountains and highland
areas). In highland regions, erosion, not deposition, would be
taking place. Erosion does not preserve fossils.
<pb>