Re: Why is Homo sapiens hairless?

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 18 Nov 96 22:19:19 GMT

In article <01bbd4c2$6600e820$LocalHost@dan-pc>
rohinton@collins.prestel.co.uk "Rohinton Collins" writes:

> Whether it was hunting/foraging/scavenging, it would certainly
> have given her species an advantage, one that would have perhaps have even
> been necessary for her species to become successful terrestrial bipeds.
> After all, there were plenty of other species of mammal which had been
> around in this niche for a lot longer.

You cannot put forward a wild theory with absolutely no evidence
and claim to be doing science. You might as well suggest that
Lucy had wings attached to her shoulder blades. They would
"certainly have given her species an advantage, one that would
have perhaps have even been necessary for her species to become
successful terrestrial bipeds . . . . "

> But I do agree that the australopithecines
> most probably did not hunt. But they certainly foraged and scavenged.

There is no evidence at all for scavenging. And how would they get
to the kills before all the other predators?

> Do you have a good reference for the AAT on the Internet which
> is concise?

The only AAT Web site I know is Dewi Morgan's:
www.geocities.com/Athens/5168/aat/html

Paul.