Re: Neoteny was Re: * makes hubey

Phillip Bigelow (n8010095@cc.wwu.edu)
23 Nov 1995 13:17:00 -0800

Hubey wrote:
>This is pretty low. Is it possible that you don't know the
>difference between fetus and baby?

A fetus is the earliest stage of ontogeny. When working out
ancestor-descendant relationships, where do you propose we draw
the line as to what stage of development is relevant and what stage is not?
In gathering data, biologists use all stages of development to draw
conclusions. You just grab one narrow ontogenetic age range and start
arm-waving wildly, while claiming that you can "see" what our
descendants will look like in the distant future. Can you say "Jean
Dixon"?

Hubey wrote:
>And yes, if I need some help in making up latin names for things
>that need explanations and when I want to cover up my ignorance
>of the phenomenon by giving it a latin name, I'll call you.

Sit down, take your lithium tablets, and relax, Mark.
<pb>