Re: Repost on predation

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 21 Nov 95 16:14:54 GMT

In article <48o4el$8b2@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>
gator@mail.utexas.edu "chris brochu" writes:

> Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk writes:

> >The Red Sea is croc-free. Crocodiles need turgid water, which comes
> >from rivers, estuaries or swamps. The Red Sea has none of these.
> >
> >I've posted this many times.
>
> You can post it all you want - it will still be incorrect.
>
> I have personally seen crocodiles successfully hunt in clear water. They
> DO NOT need turgid water. Sorry.

Hunt what? Most prey will see them and run. Maybe from clear
waters crocodiles can catch prey at night, or grab desperately
thirsty or sick animals. But daytime hunting in clear waters
could not normally provide a means of sustenance.

> Crocs are rare (though not entirely absent) from the Red Sea today, but
> they are ubiquitous in Plio-Pleistocene deposits in the region, including
> the Arabian peninsula. Their rarity in the Red Sea appears to be a
> recent phenomenon.

The Red Sea is a deep rift valley in a high plateau. That's what
it has always been. It also has high salinity. "Deposits in the
region" are irrelevant unless they're actually in that valley.
And they're not.

(BTW what was your post doing in a "tautology" thread?)

Paul.