Re: New Chinese fossil hominid at about 1.9 million ..

Richard Spear (rspear@primenet.com)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:24:55 GMT

Ralph L Holloway <rlh2@columbia.edu> wrote:

>Brace yourselves. The NY Times reports today the discovery of a new
>mandibular fragment dated at roughly 1.9 million years, at Longgupo Cave,
>Sichuan, China. This, if confirmed, strongly suggests that an early
>hominid species left Africa and a much earlier date than previously
>suspected(actually, there have been a few souls who believed this).
[rest deleted]

They also report a very early (3.5 MYA?) Chad find which begins to
suggest a much larger population of early hominids than previously
imagined .... shades of my weeks old question about hominid
distribution!

Richard