Re: Alex's gibbon-like CA

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
13 Nov 1995 21:46:23 -0500

pnich@globalone.net (Phil Nicholls) writes:

>that if two species attempt to occupy the same niche they will compete
>for limiting resources. There are three possible outcomes:

>[1] One species will become extinct.
>[2] One species will migrate
>[3] One or both species will adapt in a way that avoides competition.
>This is called niche partitioning.

I think this is overdone.

I suspect that this comes from someone's differential
equation models for two species along the lines
of Lotka and Volterra models.

I don't see how anyone can prove this. A niche is a difficult
enough concept to begin with, and pushing these ideas like
axioms of a system can be dangerous to health :-)..

I don't believe that there does not exist two species of
fish, for example, that don't feed on the same species of
fish or the same algae.

In order to prove I'm wrong someone would have to check the
huge number of species of fish that exist, clearly
next to impossible.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey