Re: complexity

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
11 Nov 1995 00:06:37 -0500

VINCENT@REG.TRIUMF.CA (pete) writes:

>H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu) sez:

>`The mind is what the brain does. What ever the brain does,
>`electro-chemically is sufficient to produce mind.

>Yipes. A reductionist along with everything else. I suppose I

Yikes. A pigeon-holer reductionist who works just like
what he practices and uses Freudian projection.

The mind is what the brain does. Nobody has shown any
quantum effects in the brain yet.

>shouldn't be surprised. Let's just say there are more things
>in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy,

What philosophy would that be?

>(the H. wouldn't be for Horatio, would it?) The world reveals
>great subtlety to those who look with sufficient concentration.

Speaking about concentration....

>The musings of reductionist spokesmen Dennett, Minsky and
>the like not withstanding, the matter is by no means resolved.

Neither will it be solved with people like Lucas, Searle,
Penrose making fools of themselves (especially Searle)
with their childish remarks.

>But this is not the forum to discuss it. See how far you get
>with that remark in sci.philosophy.meta, sci.psychology.cognitive,
>or alt.consciousness.

WE agree here.

--

Regards, Mark