Re: GIGANTOPITHECUS

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
8 Nov 1995 20:21:00 GMT

In article <47omk4$hlo@rebecca.albany.edu>, <cc3265@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU> wrote:

>Well, their dates roughly overlap, and they were both in China, but, no,
>I never heard of any hard evidence for any deeper kind of "coexistence."
>I would be surprised if there were any evidence for this -- after all (to
>draw a rough modern-day analogy), would you want to co-habit with a gorilla?
>I think it's much more likely that they avoided each other -- unless one
>found the other good to eat!
> I'd be interested in hearing from someone with more information on these
>sites, if they exist.

Ciochon, Olson and James, in their book "Other Origins: ..." seemed
virtually certain that Homo erectus and Gigantopithecus must have
encountered each other in China. I thought, though I'm less certain
about this, that they also had some fossil evidence of coexistence.

--

Jim (Chris) Foley, jim.foley@symbios.com
Assoc. Prof. of Omphalic Envy Research interest: