Re: Morgan Tears 3.

jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk
3 Nov 1995 15:40:41 GMT

Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
As far as later proboscideans go, we have about as much
>evidence for their being aquatic as we do for hominids, i.e., none at all.

Well, we do have evidence, but the point iis that it's anatomical and ambiguous.It's the usual
hairlessness, subcutaneous fat etc.. But the tusks are very interesting to me because walruses
have them too. I do object a bit to you claiming that there's no evidence. It would be more
reasonable to say that there is ambiguous inconclusive evidence, which is a different kettle of
aquatic vertebrates.

James Borrett.