Re: Darwin a has-been?

CHARLES F. YOUTHER (cyouther@AFIT.AF.MIL)
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 19:11:47 GMT

In article <47d7tl$5pf@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>From: Alex Duncan <aduncan@mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Darwin a has-been?
>Date: 3 Nov 1995 14:11:01 GMT

>In article <hubey.815368930@pegasus.montclair.edu> H. M. Hubey,

[deleted nonsense--er--material]

>WOW! Hubey boldly blazes new paths of ignorance.

>Have you ever read Darwin?

>Darwin is certainly outdated in a lot of ways, and was ignorant of a lot
>of things we're aware of today. Frankly, that makes his accomplishment
>all the more astonishing. The "Origin" is still assigned as a required
>text by some of the premiere evolutionary biologists, and with good
>reason. Not only is it a compelling argument for evolution (in the days
>before evolution was a fact) and for natural selection as a primary
>mechanism of evolutionary change, it is also a fine example of how a good
>argument is constructed. When I think of what "the scientist" should be,
>Darwin is the image that comes to mind. It might do you well to read
>some of Darwin's work.

>Alex Duncan
>Dept. of Anthropology
>University of Texas at Austin
>Austin, TX 78712-1086
>512-471-4206
>aduncan@mail.utexas.edu

One small observation: Things don't become facts; they are either facts or
they are not. If something wasn't a fact before, it's not a fact now.
Rather, we sometimes change our understanding of which things are facts and
which are not. Evolution is either a fact or it isn't; it hasn't become fact.
While I'm sure Mr. Duncan is well aware of this, some readers of this newgroup
appear not to be thus.

Peace,

cyouther

Charles F. Youther | AFIT/LSM Bldg 641
Associate Professor | 2950 P Street
Logistics Management | Wright-Patterson AFB OH
Department of Log Mgt | 45433-7765
School of Systems and Logistics| Comm (513)255-7777 ext 3216
Air Force Inst. of Technology | DSN 785-7777 ext 3216
cyouther@afit.af.mil | FAX (513)476-7881
"He that is good is free, though he is a slave; he that is
evil is a slave, though he be a king."

Augustine of Hippo, ca. 420 AD
UUENCODED by Trumpet for Windows [Version 1.0 Rev B]

BEGIN--cut here--cut here----
begin 640 sig.txt
M#0H-"CT]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/0T*0VAA<FQE<R!&+B!9;W5T:&5R("`@("`@
M("`@("`@('P@049)5"],4TT@0FQD9R`V-#$-"D%S<V]C:6%T92!0<F]F97-S
M;W(@("`@("`@("`@("!\(#(Y-3`@4"!3=')E970-"DQO9VES=&EC<R!-86YA
M9V5M96YT("`@("`@("`@("!\(%=R:6=H="U0871T97)S;VX@049"($](#0I$
M97!A<G1M96YT(&]F($QO9R!-9W0@("`@("`@("`@?"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@
M("`@(#0U-#,S+3<W-C4-"E-C:&]O;"!O9B!3>7-T96US(&%N9"!,;V=I<W1I
M8W-\($-O;6T@*#4Q,RDR-34M-S<W-R!E>'0@,S(Q-@T*06ER($9O<F-E($EN
M<W0N(&]F(%1E8VAN;VQO9WD@('P@1%-.(#<X-2TW-S<W(&5X="`S,C$V#0IC
M>6]U=&AE<D!A9FET+F%F+FUI;"`@("`@("`@("`@?"!&05@@*#4Q,RDT-S8M
M-S@X,0T*/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]#0HB2&4@=&AA="!I<R!G;V]D(&ES(&9R
M964L('1H;W5G:"!H92!I<R!A('-L879E.R!H92!T:&%T(&ES(`T*979I;"!I
M<R!A('-L879E+"!T:&]U9V@@:&4@8F4@82!K:6YG+B(-"@T*"0D)075G=7-T
M:6YE(&]F($AI<'!O+"!C82X@-#(P($%$#0H]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
K/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T-"@``
`