Re: AAT Theory

Troy Kelley (tkelley@hel4.brl.mil)
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 18:40:05 GMT

In article <pjc.815228476@gen-off-3> Peter Card, pjc@jet.uk writes:
>The point is, IMHO, that a prolonged stern chase in a hot enviroment
>will cause intense heat stress, which humans can handle better than
>most animals. The bipedal stance gives a slight advantage. The human
>perspiration system (sweat again) is inefficient from the point of
>view of water loss, but will dump heat effectively over long periods
>of time.
>
>Wild dogs have a simpler way of losing heat. They are small, and the
>square/cube law works to their advantage.

Yes.. but the only problem is that we know bipedalism evolved BEFORE
humans were out on the plains, "running prey to exhaustion". So if you
are saying that we can run through the heat and chase animals all day,
which perhaps we can, (although there have been numerous items posted on
this, notably that most herd animals actually circle, so humans just stay
inside the circle to wear the prey out) but the point is this would have
no impact on the evolution of bipedalism because we know that it evolved
before humans had spears and weapons and were running around on the
plains chasing animals.

So what is the next "accepted" theory of bipedalism?

Troy